Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

"Now we're hunting"


Within the first ten minutes of my rookie turkey hunt I bagged my first bird.
Bird: Turkey
Sex: Male (aka Gobbler)
Height: appx. 30"
Weight: 18 lbs
Beard: 9"
After spending the weekend of March 17th turkey hunting with my father-in-law, the expert outdoorsman and fanatic collector of turkey calls, I believe Im hooked on hunting this elusive creature.
The rush of hearing a yelp and gobble echoing through the dimly lit pre-dawn woods is an exhilarating event hard to match elsewhere. Personally it was more leg-shaking than spotting a massive buck strolling across your path (not that Ive seen many of those in my short hunting career).
I believe I prefer it for the same reasons I prefer fly-fishing to cast-fishing. Catching a turkey is much more interactive, challenging, and up-close than other types of hunting.
Much thanks to Mr. Mark, the Turkey Whisperer, for calling the bird for me. I was very impressed with the connection he seemed to have with the animals. He was inately attuned to their behaviors and language. It seemed as if he was having a conversation with them.

1 comment:

  1. You need to update this already Matt and Morgan. I mean, come on. I have already gotten ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete